Saturday, September 6, 2008

Listen to the Still, Small Voice...listen…listen

You know that thing that we call the “still, small voice”? Well, tonight is wasn’t so still, or small. I felt like it was screaming at me. GO TO STAKE CONFERENCE! I’ve had a hard week with lots of tears… lots of emotions in general. I’ve been spending a great deal of time praying, reading my scriptures…doing anything that would help me find some answers and direction. And, knowing that this is how my week had been, I knew that things would not get better if I ignored the things that I am supposed to do; like attend Stake Conference.

So…to Stake Conference I went. I walked in about 5 minutes late and felt a bit awkward as the usher showed me to an open seat…right smack on the front row! But, at least it was cushioned and not on a folding chair in the cultural hall. Don’t you hate when you have to sit back there? The minute I sat down my emotions began to surface. The music, the words spoken…everything. It was as if the heavens were literally opening and telling me that everything is going to be okay. I knew right then and there that I was where I was supposed to be.

After an amazing musical number, and four fabulous talks (about testimony, scripture study, prayer, and temple attendance) the First Counselor in the Stake Presidency stood and said something like, “After the rest hymn the Stake President would like to hear the testimonies of the following individuals. Brother So-and-So and (long pause while staring directly at me in the front row) this lovely young woman on the front row.” (GASP!) What? Me? Is he really looking at me? And then it hit me, the Stake President had been staring at me through the most of the meeting. He caught my eye at one point and I felt that he was genuinely concerned about me. Interesting!

I made it through my testimony virtually tear-free and was then able to listen to the final two talks. But then, the choir stood to sing the closing song. The minute the organist played the first note the tears gushed out and there was no stopping them. As I sat and listened to the words of “Come Thou Fount” I was overcome with emotion; gratitude for the knowledge that I am a daughter of God and He is very much aware of me, individually. He loves me and is blessing me. I need only take a step back and recognize His answers, His love, and His amazing ability to bless me with what I stand in need of. He definitely answers prayers!

As I gained my composure during the closing prayer I was preparing to make a quick exit. I took a deep breath as I said “Amen” then I bolted for the door. Darn! I heard someone say my name just as I was taking my final stride toward obscurity. I turn and see Kirstyn Smith, one of my favorite college roommates. She stood there with tears in her eyes and then we hugged. We haven’t seen each other in years!

It’s amazing what obeying the promptings of the Spirit can do: prayers are answered, peace is felt, lessons are learned…and you may just get called on to stand in front of hundreds of people to bear your testimony. But, the sweet reward also can be…that there may just be a long-lost friend waiting to embrace you and help you to feel the love of our Savior even more sweetly.

Oh how I love my religion! I am so grateful for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know that it is through my Savior, Jesus Christ, that I am able to do all things. I know that He lives, that He loves me, and that I will one day live with Him again!

9 comments:

Christy said...

This is the best post. I love it but I am dying that you were called on! That is stressful. I'm glad you went and I'm glad you are feeling better. Trust me, good things really do come after all the bad. It will come!

Ang Ballard said...

Wow! I love those tender mercies that help us to remember how much Heavenly Father loves us. I've been thinking of you lots- we will have to get together soon.

Lindsay said...

You are fantastic! This is such a great post of listening to the Spirit.

I liked what you said about ignoring the things we are suppose to do--the daily basics that we all (speaking of myself) get lazy about. Thanks for the reminder.

Speedys said...

Wow~ you are so inspirational, as I was reading your blog I was a freak and started to tear up. I think I would die or just look around at everyone, did he just say my name?, if I was randomly called on to bear testimony in stake conference

Denise said...

brigitte, thanks for sharing. It is much more interesting reading experiences like this from a friend rather than randoms who write their story in the ensign. You are such a fabulous gal!

Denice said...

i can only guess what is getting you all tied up in knots. come down to provo and lets go to lunch sometime. hope i can find a babysitter :) i know - grandma!

Amy Loveall said...

I have known you for so many years and you are still amazing me. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your entry. Thank you for sharing this experience, and being a blessing in my life.

Andi said...

What a neat story! But, I'd then begin to worry what will happen next time you get a prompting... will it be more stressful than bearing your testimony in Stake Conference. But, I suppose you could handle it! ;)

Thanks for sharing your testimony!

The Evans Family said...

O.K. You KNOW I am crying while I read this! You are an AMAZING person! I really miss you in the ward! It is rough being the only crier in the building!!!

LOVE YA!

Kristi